PeachesAs most of us are aware it is peak peach season, there is not much better than a warm peach plucked from the tree at its height of freshness. It's sweet, soft and oh, so juicy. But I think I might like all the goodies you can create with these delicious summer gems. Tarts, pies, ice cream, cupcakes, jam, and one of my favorites, Galettes,. You get the flakiness from pie crust and the sweet softness of the fresh peaches just picked.
Today I want to share one of my favorite recipes for this sweet juicy fruit.
Peach Cayenne Galettes with Almond cream
24 individual Galettes
1 large Galette
8 medium-large Fresh Peaches,
2 1/2 cup. Sliced Almonds
1 cup. Granulated Sugar
1 Qt. Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8. tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 cup. Brown Sugar
1/4 cup. Cornstarch
1/2 cup. flour
- purée Almonds with 1/2 granulated sugar with 1/4-1/2 cup of cream until it is a smooth paste. Set aside.
- prepare your favorite pie crust recipe and refrigerate until ready to fill.
- slice peaches with skin on and bath in lemon water to keep from browning. Drain then place in a large bowl with brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cayenne and vanilla. Mix together gently then add the cornstarch and flour. Toss and set aside.
- roll out dough and cut into about 4 inch rounds for individual pastries, I used a metal ring cutter, but you could use a cereal bowl or a plate as a guide. or all the dough into a 12 inch round shape for a family size pastry.
- spread Almond cream on the bottom of the dough leaving about 1/2 inch on the small ones and 2 inches on the large pastry edge.
- arrange peaches in a circular fashion until pastry is filled, then fold over the edge on top of the peaches.
- egg wash the pastry, then sprinkle with a small amount of sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes, until edges are golden and the bottom of the crust is baked.
-whip the Remaining heavy cream with sugar, vanilla and almond extract to taste and refrigerate until later.
- cool the pastries then glaze with a mix of apricot jam and water with a pastry brush and garnish with whipped cream and a mint leaf!
Thanks for visiting. Darcy
Check out mom's newest and craziest painted life at: http://sksartell.blogspot.com/